What do I do if I’m a victim of identity theft?

  • In most cases if you are a victim of identity theft, it is best to report the incident to the police department and the State of New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs at (800 )242-5846.  When reporting a case of identity theft to the Mount Holly Township Police Department an officer will complete an investigation report and provide you with the case number for follow-up.
  • Contact your credit card companies, creditors, banks, and financial institutions to cancel your accounts.    
  • Notify all of the Credit Reporting Bureaus to put a fraud alert on your credit and obtain a copy of your credit report, free of charge to New Jersey Residents under the New Jersey Fair Credit Reporting Act. (Note the NJFCRA requires 1 free report from each of the 3 credit reporting agencies)
    • Equifax                (800) 525-6285
    • Experian              (888) 397-3742
    • Trans Union        (800) 680-7289

  • Contact the Federal Trade Commission, Social Security Administration and if your passport was stolen, the US Department of State. When calling the  Federal Trade Commission, you may obtain its ID Theft Affidavit.  You can also download a copy here.
    • Federal Trade Commission          (877) 438-4338
    • Social Security Administration    (800) 269-0271
    • US Dept. of State                         (202) 955-0430
  • If your driver’s license was stolen, contact the Motor Vehicle Commission’s Security and Investigations office at 609.984.5279.  For more information on what to do if you license is stolen, please click here.